Gujarat Top Engineering College
Gujarat Top Engineering College: Some of the best engineering colleges that I consider are as follows (the order I will put in is with the kind of research that I have put in while identifying the colleges and considering the Acpc ranks).
Do not completely judge a college by the opening ranks and closing ranksthey vary every year(though they have some kind of impact) but, some other important factors are:
- Opportunities inside the college.
- Faculty profile available with college.
- College Curriculum and its course structure. (out dated curriculum will be of no use for you to get a decent job!).
- Student facilities available.
- Better infrastructure and better labs.
- Emphasis on practical syllabus.
- College’s name value after graduation.
- Internships and placements.
HERE I AM LISTING THE TOP 10 COLLEGES ONLY!!
Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar
The Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar strives to offer the best undergraduate and graduate education in India with unmatched innovations in curriculum. The institute promotes critical thinking and an appreciation of the interdisciplinary character of knowledge, with an emphasis on the liberal arts, project oriented learning, compulsory courses in design and the life sciences, diversity and globalization. The five-week immersion Foundation Programme for all new undergraduate students was recognized with the World Education Award 2013 by the World Education Summit for innovations in engineering education. Nearly a quarter of its undergraduate students receive study abroad experience during their academic career. IIT Gandhinagar is committed to promoting excellence in science, technology, as well as the humanities and social sciences and to the development of rounded and nuanced minds.
IIT Gandhinagar was founded in 2008 and is located in Palaj, Gandhinagar, Gujarat on the banks of river Sabarmati. Gandhinagar is in proximity to Ahmedabad which is one of the oldest living cities in India, known both for a rich cultural past as well as state-of-the-art infrastructure, thriving industries, and many modern amenities. The city is also the hub of prestigious academic and research institutes, such as the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, and the National Institute of Design. Gujarat’s long standing mercantile and business tradition encourages excellence and entrepreneurship.
IIT Gandhinagar offers BTech and MTech programmes in Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical and Materials Science and Engineering and also offers MSc programmes in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Cognitive Science. It also offers MA programme in Society and Culture. Ph.D. programmes are offered in all the engineering and science disciplines such as Chemical, Biomedical, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer Science and Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Earth Science, and Cognitive Sciences. Apart from the graduate programmes in engineering and science, institute also offers PhD in Literature, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology, political sciences and Social Epidemiology.
Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute Of Technology Surat
This Institute was established in 1961 as one of the RECs for imparting technical education in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. In the year 1983-84 the Under Graduate programmes in Electronics Engineering was introduced and in the year 1988-89 the UG programmes in Computer Engineering and Production Engineering was started. In the year 1995-96, UG programme in Chemical Engineering was introduced. In exercise of the powers conferred by section 3 of the University Grants Commission (UGC) Act, 1956, the Central Government on the advice of the University Grants Commission, has declared the Sardar Vallabhbhai Regional College of Engineering & Technology (SVREC), Surat to Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology (SVNIT), Surat with status of “Deemed University” with effect from 4th December 2002. The Institute has been granted the status of ‘Institute of National Importance’ w.e.f. Aug. 15, 2007. At present, the Institute is offering Six UG Programmes, Eighteen PG Programmes and Three M.Sc. Five Years Integrated Programme including doctoral programme in all above branches.
The mission of the Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology, Surat is to be a leading technical Institute not only at national level but also at International level for imparting training to manpower as per the needs of technology. It is also envisaged to provide the necessary infrastructure to take up research work and to provide the mechanism to interact with industries effectively.
Sardar vallabhbhai national institute of technology, surat, perceives to be a globally accepted centre of excellence in technical education catalyzing absorption, innovation, diffusion and transfer of high technologies resulting in enhanced quality for all the stakeholders.
- To offer quality programmes in the engineering at UG, PG and Ph.D.level.
- To impart instruction and training to students to meet the technological needs.
- To promote research environment.
- To promote Industry – Institute interaction.
- To foster national integration and value based education.
- To interact with Alumni for development of the Institute and for making use of their expertise and resources.
- To impart quality education alongwith development of confidence for being an entrepreneur. To inculcate environment Innovations amongst students.
Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology, Gandhinagar
Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology (DA-IICT), Gandhinagar represents Wave-4 of educational innovation in Gujarat.
The first wave was the nationalist wave and led to Gandhian experiments in education including Nai Talim. The Gujarat Vidyapith established in 1920 was a hybrid model of a University based on Gandhian principles.
The second wave led to the establishment of a whole range of educational institutions in Gujarat, mainly private colleges.
The third wave, an inspired one, was spearheaded by the Industrialist Kasturbhai Lalbhai and the Scientist Vikram Sarabhai and led to the establishment of a network of national institutes of international renown. A whole array of remarkable intellectuals provided the leadership of these Institutes.
It was in Wave 4 when the focus shifted to higher education and private participation. One of the Institutes created during this period is DA-IICT in 2001. It is the only advanced research and teaching Institute named after the Late Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Group.
DA-IICT is spread over 50 acres of land in Gandhinagar, Capital City of Gujarat. The DA-IICT campus is caringly planned and designed as an environmentally conscious campus in the country. The architecture of DA-IICT is functional, but what surrounds it is a fascinating garden. The entire design is oriented towards preserving the environment. The campus with trees, lawns and bushes bearing green leaves and exotic flowers surrounding the buildings and pathways instils environment consciousness among students and enrich their learning. The campus also has a herb garden with species of rare medicinal plants. The landscape was planned and developed in a manner that no rainwater is lost. The irrigation for campus garden and lawns is carried out with recycled water. Its solid waste management system churns out organic fertilizer out of dry leaves, vegetable and food waste generated from food courts.
The campus is a haven for bird-watchers, with a variety of species of birds being spotted.
DA-IICT can be reached in about 30 minutes from Sardar Vallabhai Patel International Airport and the Central Railway Station located in Ahmedabad.
The Act No. 6 of 2003 of the Gujarat Legislature provided for the establishment of the DA-IICT and conferred on it the status of a University. (Gujarat Government Gazette Volume XLIV, Thursday, 6 March, 2003)
On 30 November 2004, the DA-IICT was included in the list of Universities maintained by the University Grants Commission under Section 2(f) of the UGC Act, 1956.
UGC Letter of Notification
DA-IICT is a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) as approved by the AIU at its 84th Annual Meeting held during 12-14 November 2009.
The National Assessment and Accreditation Council, Government of India has accredited DA-IICT with an ‘A’ Grade in 2017.
Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara
The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda (MSU), formerly Baroda College is a public university in the city of Vadodara, in Gujarat state, India. Originally established as a college in 1881, it became a university in 1949 after the independence of the country. It was later renamed after its benefactor Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III, the former ruler of Baroda State belonging the royal Gaekwaddynasty of the Marathas. It’s a very Famous College in the Western India.
The university has its origins in the Baroda College, established in 1881 by Baroda State. The main building, which houses the Faculty of Arts, was designed by Robert Fellowes Chisholm in Indo-Saracenic architecture style, in a fusion of Indian and Byzantine arches and domes in brick and polychromed stone. The main dome on the convocation hall was modelled after the great dome of the Gol Gumbazin Bijapur.
Pratap Singh Gaekwad of Baroda (1908–1968) (the last Maharaja of the erstwhile Baroda State) founded the university in 1949 on the wishes of his grandfather, Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III (1863–1939), and settled the “Sir Sayajirao Diamond Jubilee and Memorial Trust” which exists to date, catering to the education and other needs of the people of the former Baroda State.
Faculty of Science
The old Baroda College founded in 1881 consisted of Arts and Science sections. The Faculty of Science started its independent existence in March 1951 with Dr C.S. Patel as its first dean. The Old Building which houses the Faculty of Science at present was completed in about 1934 in the reign of Srimant Sayajirao Gaekwad III of Baroda, a far-sighted ruler and maker of the modern city of Vadodara. It is conspicuous by its small copper dome and is flanked on the west by the building of Faculty of Education and Psychology and on the east by the majestic building of the Old Baroda College, now the Faculty of Arts.
Department of Physics
As a premier centre for Physics learning in India, the department, established in 1949, offers U.G., P.G. and PhD programme and is a sponsored department of Department Of Science and Technology, Government of India under FIST programme. In M.Sc., students are offered Solid State Physics, Electronics and Communication, Nuclear Physics, and Molecular Spectroscopy as specialization. The department is also equipped by two of the oldest and famous observatories: (i) Astronomical Observatory and (ii) Meteorological observatory.
Researchers are provided with advanced technologies including FTIR-4100 Spectrometer, Thermal Analyser (DSC), AFM, Workstations-4, Cluster Computing facility (Supercomputer), etc. which help them in researching on Condensed Matter Physics, Material Science, Experimental Nuclear Physics, Spectroscopy, Theoretical Particle Physics and Astrophysics.
It is one of the oldest Physics departments in India, which adopted advanced curricula based on Courses viz, Berkeley Physics Course, Feynman Lecture Series, etc. under the leadership of S.K. Shah and H.S. Desai, then physics professors at Baroda Science College. Department has an active society, notably ‘The Physical Society MSU Baroda’.Department of Condensed Matter Physics has been sponsored for researches in coordination with TIFR and BARC by DST-FIST as a major beneficiary. Department is indulged in a number of active researches with record endowments. The university holds the accolade of having worldwide spread Departmental alumni, including LIGO scientist Karan Jani, Physicist Sudhir Trivedi, Particle physicist Sandip Pakvasa (Professor at University Of Hawaii), Sam Pitroda, engineer behind India’s telecom revolution , theoretical physicist Arup Kumar Raychaudhuri and Nobel Laureate cum President, Royal Society, Venkatraman Ramakrishnan.
Dr. Vikram Sarabhai Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology
Established in 2012, Dr. Vikram Sarabhai Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology is an interdisciplinary research institute which integrates several departments of the Faculty of Science. The centre was established with the financial support of the Government of Gujarat. The institute started a 5-year Integrated M.Sc. programme in Cell and Molecular Biology in 2012. The course offers 30 seats each year, which are filled through a common entrance exam.
Department of Computer Applications
Formally established in 2013, the department offers three programmes, Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA), M.Sc. in Information Technologies and M.Sc. in Software Technologies.
Department of Biochemistry
The Department of Biochemistry was established in 1955, under the Chemistry Department, and was headed by Prof. C.V. Ramakrishnan, father of 2009 Chemistry Nobel Laureate Venkatraman Ramakrishnan). The department has a Center for Nutritional Studies. The department was awarded an Excellent status in 2006 by FIST, a Government of India accreditation agency. It imparts master’s degree courses in Biochemistry & Medical Biotechnology with a force of around 50 research students.
The Biochemistry Department offers courses in enzymology, genetics, molecular biology, neuroscience, plant biochemistry, endocrinology, clinical biochemistry among others. The department conducts research in areas including acterial cooperation, polyketide synthase clusture, antibiotic resistance, Apoptosis, phosphate solubilisation, nitrogen fixation, probiotics, heavy metal toxicity, diabetes, prostate cancer, female infertility, endophytes, magnetoliposomes, protein folding, and vitiligo.
The department was funded under the DST-FIST I programme under which new equipment has been purchased and infrastructure facilities strengthened. The department has received support from UGC-DRS, UGC-DSA and COSIST programs.
The department has a strong base in Microbial technology and the main focus of the program is on Genetics, Molecular Biology, Industrial Microbiology, Immunology and other areas allied to Microbiology and Biotechnology. Basic training is given in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Developmental Biology, Genetic Engineering, Biochemical Engineering and some aspects of Biophysics, Biostatistics, Environmental Biology.
The areas of research in which the department is engaged are:
- Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering
- Bioprocess Engineering
- Immunology, Biophysics
– Doctoral program – Master of Science in Biochemistry (M.Sc., 20 regular, 5 high payment seats) – Master of Science in Medical Biotechnology (M.Sc., High payment course, 10 seats) – Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Biochemistry (PGDAB, 20 seats)
Faculty of Performing Arts
Maharaja Sayajirao Rao Gaekwad was a patron of Indian classical music. Ustad Moula Bux founded the Academy of Indian Music under the patronage of Sayajirao, on 26 February 1886. This academy later became the Music College and is now the Faculty of Performing Arts of The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda. Apart from Moula Bux, Sayajirao’s Court boasted of artists like Ustad Inayat Khan and legendary Agra Gharana Aftaab e Mousiqui (Sun of Music) Ustad Faiyyaz Khansaheb.
After educationist Vishnu Narayan Bhatkhande’s music curriculum was introduced at the college, Gayanacharya Madhusudan Joshi became the first recipient of a diploma in Music (1932) in the history of music education in India.
The MSU started the first dance programme in India in 1950.
In 1880, the Maharani Kanta Ben of Tanjore was married to Baroda’s Maharaja Sayajirao III Gopalrao Gaekwad, a prince who established the Baroda College as one of his first public acts. It was later absorbed into the university that bears his name. Chimnabai I was knowledgeable in Bharatanatyam and Carnatic music and brought a troupe with her: two dancers, two nattuvanars (leaders of Bharatanatyam concerts), and two teachers. Others followed: Nattuvanar Appaswamy and his dancer wife Kantimati, who had studied with Kannusamy and Vadively, two members of the Tanjore Quartet. After Appaswamy’s death in 1939, Kantimati and their son, Kubernath, left to teach in Lucknow and worked in film in South India until Maharaja Pratap Singhrao Gaekwad called the Tanjorkars family back to Baroda in 1949, to teach in the music department in the Palace Kalavan which was later absorbed into MSU.
Faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts building is known for its Gumbaz (The Dome),Gol Gumbaz which often rated as finest dome for education institution in India.
- Department of Archaeology and Ancient History
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Arabic
- Department of Canadian Studies
- Department of Economics
- Department of English (The oldest in Gujarat)
- Department of French
- Department of Geography
- Department of German
- Department of Gujarati
- Department of Hindi
- Department of History
- Department of International Relation
- Department of Library & Information Science
- Department of Linguistics
- Department of Marathi
- Department of Persian
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Pali
- Department of Prakrit
- Department of Russian
- Department of Sanskrit
- Department of Sindhi
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Traditional Sanskrit Studies
- Department of Urdu
- Department of Management Studies
Faculty of Management Studies
Popularly known as FMS Baroda, was established in 1984 in the city of Vadodara. The courses are approved by All India Council for Technical Education. The institute offers the specialization in Marketing, Finance, Human Resource Management and Information Systems. During 1995, it increased its intake from 30 to 40 for 2-year full-time (regular) MBA, and in 1997 introduced a 3-Year MBA Evening Programme.
Faculty of Pharmacy
The Faculty of Pharmacy was established in 2015. Prior to that it was a department under the Faculty of Technology and Engineering. The faculty was ranked 12 in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) pharmacy ranking in 2018. Prof. M. R. Yadav is the founder dean of the faculty who is currently working as UGC BSR Fellow in the same faculty.
The institute was established in Baroda on 1 September 1927. It operated from the Central Library before it was shifted in a separate building near the palace. It is known for the seven volumes of critical edition of Ramayana that it published between 1951 and 1975, a part of a 25-year project sponsored by the University Grants Commission (UGC). The text was later the reference source for Ramayan, the popular TV series by Ramanand Sagar that originally ran in 1987–88.
One of the oldest manuscripts preserved at the institute is Ayodhya Mahatmya, written by Harishankar in 1656 AD, part of the collection of over 10,000 manuscripts of Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III, who first conceptualised the institute in 1893, inspired by the opening of the Oriental Research Institute Mysore in 1891, established by then Maharaja of Mysore Chamaraja Wodeyar, and a close friend.
The Oriental Institute organises seminar and conferences for research in Oriental studies. The recent seminar on “Research in Indian Languages and Literature” was organised on 22 January 2014. The tweet-feed and Facebook posting can be identified with #oimsurill – regarding this seminar.
Sayaji FM – Online Radio Station
Sayaji FM is the online radio station of The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda. In June 2015, it was started by Yogesh Jangir, former student of the university.
Nirma University, Ahmedabad
Nirma University (NU) is a private university in Ahmedabad in the state of Gujarat, India. It functions under the aegis of the Nirma Education and Research Foundation (NERF). Nirma University is a statutory university established under a state act.
Karsanbhai K. Patel is the founder chairman of the Nirma Group and the president of Nirma University. Dr. Patel established the Nirma Education and Research Foundation (NERF) in 1994 with a view to promote and support higher education in India.
In 1995 Nirma Institute of Technology started in a rented premise with five undergraduate engineering programmes affiliated to Gujarat University. In 1996 the institute started functioning in new campus.
Thereafter, in 1996, the Institute of Management was established. In 1997, the Institute of Diploma was established to offer multidisciplinary diploma programmes in Engineering. In April 2003, Nirma University, was established by the first three institutions, under a special act passed by the Gujarat State Legislative Assembly. The University Grants Commission (UGC) recognized it under the section 2 (f) of the UGC Act.Since Nirma University was developed it has maintained itself as one of the universities with best infrastructure and facilities.
Subsequently, the university established the Institute of Pharmacy in 2003, the Institute of Science in 2004, the Institute of Law in 2007 and the Institute of Architecture in 2014. Nirma University discontinued the diploma engineering programme to qualify for University accreditation as per University Grants Commission (UGC) norms, thus intake of students for Diploma Engineering had stopped since 2013.
Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University, Gandhinagar
Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (or PDPU) Gujarat, established through PDPU Act, a legislature passed by Gujarat state assembly in 2007. The university is located at Raisan village of Gandhinagar city in an area known as the Knowledge Corridor, and it is near the upcoming GIFT City. It is 8 km from Gujarat state capital Gandhinagar, and 23 km from Gujarat’s largest city Ahmedabad.
The university is ranked 55th in India and 1st in Gujarat by National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. PDPU has also been awarded Scientific & Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) recognition by Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India.
The university has four schools, located on the same campus. The schools include the School of Petroleum Technology, School of Technology, School of Petroleum Management, and School of Liberal Studies. The President of University Board of Governors is Dr. Mukesh Ambani and the Chairman of the Standing Committee is Shri D. Rajagopalan, IAS (Retd.), Government of Gujarat.
The university also has its own 1 megawatt solar power plant. The Government of Gujarat has decided to set up an international Centre of Excellence in Automobile at PDPU with investment of Rs. 150 Crores (US$ 25M) in joint venture with Maruti Suzuki India Ltd(MSIL).
Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad University is a private, non-profit university set up in 2009 by the Ahmedabad Education Society. It comprises four schools and four centres with opportunities for interdisciplinary scholarship. Ahmedabad University offers students a liberal education focused on research and interdisciplinary learning.
The sponsoring body of Ahmedabad University is Ahmedabad Education Society (AES), a non-profit educational trust located in Ahmedabad. AES and its leaders have played significant roles in the founding of national institutions such as Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, National Institute of Design, Physical Research Laboratory, and CEPT University. The Trust is also responsible for supporting institutions such as MG College of Science, LD College of Arts, HL College of Commerce, LM College of Pharmacy, AG Teacher’s College and LD Institute of Indology, amongst others.
In 2009, the HL Institute of Commerce (HLIC) and B K Majmudar Institute of Business Administration (BKMIBA) were consolidated under Amrut Mody School of Management which is one of the Schools of Ahmedabad University.
Birla Vishvakarma Mahavidyalaya, Anand
Birla Vishvakarma Mahavidyalaya Engineering College (BVM) is a grant-aided engineering institution located in the educational town of Vallabh Vidyanagar, Gujarat, India. It is affiliated to Gujarat Technological University and became an autonomous institution in August 2015. Founded in 1948, it is one of the oldest engineering colleges in India and the first degree engineering college in the state of Gujarat. Managed by Charutar Vidya Mandal, BVM offers graduate, postgraduate and Doctoral programmes in engineering.
Birla Vishvakarma Mahavidyalaya Engineering College was established in 1948 from donations made by the Birla Education Trust on the behest of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the first Home Minister of independent India. The college was inaugurated by Lord Mountbatten, the Governor General of India on 14 June 1948, and rose to prominence under the stewardship of Prof. Junarkar and Prof. K.M. Dholakia. It was one of the first few colleges in India that adopted the progressive credit system of relative grading in India. The college has awarded degrees to over 20,000 graduates.
CEPT University, Ahmedabad
CEPT University, formerly the Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology, is an academic institution located near university area in Ahmedabad, India offering undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in areas of natural and developed environment of human society and related disciplines.
The Centre for Environment Planning & Technology was established as the School of Architecture in 1962, by The Ahmedabad Education Society (AES), followed by the School of Planning, School of Building Science and Technology and School of Interior Design in 1972, 1982 and 1991 respectively, which were established with aid from the Ministry of Human Resource Development, the Government of Gujarat and the Ford Foundation.
Until 2002 the institute was autonomous and awarded its own diplomas while being recognized by the All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE). From 2002 to 2005 it was affiliated to Hemchandracharya North Gujarat University. In 2005 it became a university through the Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology University Act, 2005. It was renamed “CEPT University” through CEPT University Act, 2010.